de Sénarmont





Social networks


The Sénarmont fort was built between 1883 and 1886 to block access to the Colmar and Basel roads and the Mulhouse railway line, as well as to protect the Roppe and Vézelois forts. It is a large limestone masonry fort, capable of accommodating up to 650 men and around thirty pieces of artillery.

Shortly after its construction, the fort was already outdated and needed to be modernised. It was one of the few forts to have been constantly renovated to reflect the technical progress of the time: as early as 1888, a concrete shell was poured over a third of its central barracks: in 1894-1895, it became an infantry support point and underwent a complete overhaul. In 1908-1909, two cannon turrets and two machine gun turrets were installed.

During the First World War, the fort was used as a hospital, but from 1917 onwards, fortification work resumed with the digging of premises buried far underground and galleries linking the fort with the outside world. The successive modernisations it has undergone have given it a distinctive appearance. Since 1993, this fortification has belonged to the municipality of Bessoncourt The Association du fort Sénarmont de Bessoncourt has overseen the preservation and maintenance of the site since 2014. The organisation holds a number of guided tours and markets, depending on the season.

Photo gallery



Share on social networks